2011 installation part 2
Phil
2011-09-13 11:21:49 UTC
I've advanced a little during the past few hours.

I now realise that it's not the vga boot mode that's the problem. However, I
cannot see how I can set a screen resolution that suits the installer. By the
way I can run the DVD on a much older laptop without any problems.

Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.
--
Regards,
Phil
Peter Vollebregt
2011-09-13 12:37:28 UTC
Phil,
Post by Phil
I've advanced a little during the past few hours.
I now realise that it's not the vga boot mode that's the problem. However, I
cannot see how I can set a screen resolution that suits the installer. By the
way I can run the DVD on a much older laptop without any problems.
Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.
Suggestions asked. OK i'll try.

1) It can be KMS (Kernel Mode Setting) interfering with your machine.
Disable it via "nomodeset" .
See:
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2011.0_Errata#On_some_ATI_GPU_system_starts_with_a_black_screen
and http://forum.mandriva.com/en/viewtopic.php?t=133108

2) the system is interpreting the default DDI settings for your monitor
wrongly. This can be corrected by adding the correct values to
xorg.conf, but that is strange when installing. You can use another
monitor maybe at first?

Peter
Jim Beard
2011-09-13 14:20:33 UTC
Post by Peter Vollebregt
Phil,
Post by Phil
I've advanced a little during the past few hours.
I now realise that it's not the vga boot mode that's the problem. However, I
cannot see how I can set a screen resolution that suits the installer. By the
way I can run the DVD on a much older laptop without any problems.
Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.
Suggestions asked. OK i'll try.
1) It can be KMS (Kernel Mode Setting) interfering with your machine.
Disable it via "nomodeset" .
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2011.0_Errata#On_some_ATI_GPU_system_starts_with_a_black_screen
and http://forum.mandriva.com/en/viewtopic.php?t=133108
It might be overkill, but you might add nokmsboot as well as
nomodeset to the boot command. (With grub, ESC then e then e
again then arrow keys to navigate and type in changes, ESC and
then b to boot, if I remember correctly [it's been a while...]).

Cheers!

jim b.
--
UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.
Phil
2011-09-14 01:37:56 UTC
Post by Peter Vollebregt
Phil,
Post by Phil
I've advanced a little during the past few hours.
I now realise that it's not the vga boot mode that's the problem.
However, I cannot see how I can set a screen resolution that suits the
installer. By the way I can run the DVD on a much older laptop without
any problems.
Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.
Suggestions asked. OK i'll try.
1) It can be KMS (Kernel Mode Setting) interfering with your machine.
Disable it via "nomodeset" .
Thank you Peter and Jim,

nomodeset was the solution.
--