More installation problems
Phil
2011-09-14 05:51:44 UTC
Thank you for your patience,

I was able log in by adding nomodeset to the kernel options. I even managed
to install the latest updates plus a couple of applications. The problem is
that I cannot log in again and this is what happens:

1. Log in screen - enter password

2. Dialog box reads "you are attempting to run drak3D" etc - enter password
again

3. 3D Dialog box asks for effects option - select none

4. Another dialog box. "You need to log out" etc - press OK

This takes me back to step 1. How can I break out of this loop?

--
Regards,
Phil
alexander barakin
2011-09-14 09:03:07 UTC
Post by Phil
Thank you for your patience,
I was able log in by adding nomodeset to the kernel options. I even managed
to install the latest updates plus a couple of applications. The problem is
1. Log in screen - enter password
2. Dialog box reads "you are attempting to run drak3D" etc - enter password
again
3. 3D Dialog box asks for effects option - select none
4. Another dialog box. "You need to log out" etc - press OK
This takes me back to step 1. How can I break out of this loop?
mandriva 2011?
for example, try to remove file /etc/X11/wmsession.d/29drak3d
(do not forget to backup this file)
wbr, alexander barakin aka sash-kan. gnu.linuxcenter.ru
Brian Schroeder
2011-09-14 09:17:27 UTC
Post by Phil
Thank you for your patience,
I was able log in by adding nomodeset to the kernel options. I even
managed to install the latest updates plus a couple of applications. The
1. Log in screen - enter password
2. Dialog box reads "you are attempting to run drak3D" etc - enter
password again
3. 3D Dialog box asks for effects option - select none
4. Another dialog box. "You need to log out" etc - press OK
This takes me back to step 1. How can I break out of this loop?
Have you tried installing a PCI graphics card as well so you can
actually get into the system to play with it? Or connecting over
the network from another computer?

In any case, if you get it worked out I would be very interested
to hear the details. Based on a couple of aborted attempts I
think I have the same problem, and I am still using 2010.2 as
a result.

Brian.
Jim Beard
2011-09-14 13:17:26 UTC
Post by Phil
Thank you for your patience,
I was able log in by adding nomodeset to the kernel options. I
even managed to install the latest updates plus a couple of
applications. The problem is that I cannot log in again and this
1. Log in screen - enter password
2. Dialog box reads "you are attempting to run drak3D" etc -
enter password again
3. 3D Dialog box asks for effects option - select none
4. Another dialog box. "You need to log out" etc - press OK
This takes me back to step 1. How can I break out of this loop?
First, as a preliminary, in file /etc/inittab change the line
that reads id:5:initdefault: to read id:3:initdefault:

You will boot into run level 3, and must use startx KDE4 to get
the KDE gui. In run level 3, you can run (as root) mcc to change
your machine's system configuration, edit/add/remove
configuration files, and such.

If you do go to the gui, and it fails/freezes, use Cntl-Alt-F2
(or F3, F4, etc) to get to a terminal login and go to work there.

In run level 3, XFdrake (note the capitalization) is the command
to use to revise your video-card/graphics configuration.

When all is sorted to your satisfaction, revert to the
id:5:initdefault: setting if you wish...

Cheers!

jim b.
--
UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.
Phil
2011-09-15 02:53:08 UTC
I was able log in by adding nomodeset to the kernel options. I
even managed to install the latest updates plus a couple of
applications. The problem is that I cannot log in again and this
1. Log in screen - enter password
2. Dialog box reads "you are attempting to run drak3D" etc -
enter password again
3. 3D Dialog box asks for effects option - select none
4. Another dialog box. "You need to log out" etc - press OK
This takes me back to step 1. How can I break out of this loop?
Thanks Jim, Alex and Brian for your replies,
First, as a preliminary, in file /etc/inittab change the line that reads
id3 is already set as the default and startx KDE4 fails because a session is
already running.

However, I now have overcome one problem; I don't need the nomodeset option
to log in.

I still cannot get past the login loop. I have renamed 29drak3d, as Alex
suggested, but that has not broken the loop. I also ran drak3d as root and
was informed that my system does not support 3D effects (which I already
knew). So, can anyone offer any other suggestions on how I can prevent
drak3d asking me for a password?

--
Regards,
Phil
Jim Beard
2011-09-15 14:23:48 UTC
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:17 PM
Post by Jim Beard
First, as a preliminary, in file /etc/inittab change the line
id3 is already set as the default
First, id3 is not the same as id:3
Post by Phil
and startx KDE4 fails because a
session is already running.
pkill kdeinit4
pkill startkde
cd
rm -f .*uth*

Clean $HOME/tmp, /tmp/ /var/tmp

logout

login

That should eliminate the instance of KDE4 running.
Post by Phil
However, I now have overcome one problem; I don't need the
nomodeset option to log in.
I still cannot get past the login loop. I have renamed 29drak3d,
as Alex suggested, but that has not broken the loop. I also ran
drak3d as root and was informed that my system does not support
3D effects (which I already knew). So, can anyone offer any other
suggestions on how I can prevent drak3d asking me for a password?
The above suggests you are in run level 5, not run level 3. If
in run level 3, you should be looking at a black terminal window
with three lines at the top left, the last being
login:

When you enter your user name, you should be prompted for your
password, which you should enter. When logged in, you should
still be looking at a black terminal window, not a desktop gui.

If you can run drak3d, you should be able to select No 3d
effects. The program drak3d may require administrator
privileges, so either provide the password it asks for or su to
root on the command line and then run drak3d.

Cheers!

jim b.
Phil
2011-09-15 22:55:51 UTC
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:17 PM
Post by Phil
[...]
Thanks once again Jim and Alex,

So far everythng is working and I will try to avoid updating drak3d which
seems to be the root of the problem.

By the way drak3d did not take no for an answer and that was the reason for
the endless loop.
--
Regards,
Phil
alexander barakin
2011-09-15 16:51:23 UTC
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:17 PM
Post by Phil
Thank you for your patience,
I was able log in by adding nomodeset to the kernel options. I
even managed to install the latest updates plus a couple of
applications. The problem is that I cannot log in again and this
1. Log in screen - enter password
2. Dialog box reads "you are attempting to run drak3D" etc -
enter password again
3. 3D Dialog box asks for effects option - select none
4. Another dialog box. "You need to log out" etc - press OK
This takes me back to step 1. How can I break out of this loop?
Thanks Jim, Alex and Brian for your replies,
First, as a preliminary, in file /etc/inittab change the line that reads
id3 is already set as the default and startx KDE4 fails because a session is
already running.
mandriva uses systemd·
see "changing runlevels" here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVinit_to_Systemd_Cheatsheet