Leaving the fold
Len Lawrence
2011-09-01 17:19:55 UTC
Well it is goodbye Mandriva. I say this with a heavy heart after 14
years with the best Linux distribution around but I can no longer
support a system which has nailed its colours to the KDE mast. And
goodbye and many thanks to the wonderful Mandriva community, helpful,
knowledgeable and always civil. I wish I could have done more to help
its members - money was all I could afford. So it is over to Mageia
as soon as Virgin upgrades my broadband service.

Good luck to you all.

Len
Alejandro López
2011-09-02 13:04:12 UTC
I can no longer support a system which has nailed its colours to the KDE
mast.
Can someone explain this sentence? Has Mandriva dropped Gnome for 2011.0?
Any link to this information? Thanks.

Alejandro.
Felix Miata
2011-09-02 13:42:34 UTC
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2011.0_Notes

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/
Alejandro López
2011-09-02 14:06:57 UTC
Post by Alejandro López
Any link to this information? Thanks.
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/**2011.0_Notes<http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2011.0_Notes>
Geez! I'll have to move to Mageia.

Thanks for the information.
Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/
David Guntner
2011-09-02 16:17:17 UTC
Post by Alejandro López
Any link to this information? Thanks.
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/**2011.0_Notes
Geez! I'll have to move to Mageia.
Thanks for the information.
Um... people? Over-reactive & panic-prone much? :-) The GNOME package
Post by Alejandro López
GNOME, Xfce and other Desktop Environments (DE) and Window Managers
(WM) are no longer included in the official Mandriva packages.
Contribution packages from the Mandriva community are available for
these desktop environments however.
And sure enough, I can see the entire GNOME set of .rpm packages in the
Contrib tree. It's not going anywhere, it's just not in Main anymore.
There's lots of things that are not in Main but have been in Contrib for
years. So relax, anyone who wants GNOME in their Mandriva can still
have it. :-) If GNOME ever gets dropped completely (I.E., gone from the
Contrib tree, which frankly I just don't see happening anytime soon
since it has a pretty good-sized following), THEN start yelling about
jumping ship. <grin>

--Dave
Dwight Paige
2011-09-02 18:38:35 UTC
Damn. This lie just won't die.

http://forum.mandriva.com/en/viewtopic.php?p=849815#p849815
Dwight
Len Lawrence
2011-09-03 07:45:59 UTC
Post by Alejandro López
GNOME, Xfce and other Desktop Environments (DE) and Window Managers
(WM) are no longer included in the official Mandriva packages.
Contribution packages from the Mandriva community are available for
these desktop environments however.
And sure enough, I can see the entire GNOME set of .rpm packages in the
Contrib tree. It's not going anywhere, it's just not in Main anymore.
There's lots of things that are not in Main but have been in Contrib for
years. So relax, anyone who wants GNOME in their Mandriva can still
have it. :-) If GNOME ever gets dropped completely (I.E., gone from the
Contrib tree, which frankly I just don't see happening anytime soon
since it has a pretty good-sized following), THEN start yelling about
jumping ship.<grin>
--Dave
Yes, support for GNOME is community based from now on and since I do not
even want to see KDE why not move to a community based distribution?
For those wanting to install straight into GNOME, Mageia is a more
comfortable option. The downside is the need to download the whole
shebang. My preference in the past was to always buy the PowerPack DVDs
rather than burn them from an ISO.

There is another cloud on the horizon however; GNOME 3. From what has
been posted on the web GNOME 3 has not been received with any degree of
enthusiasm.

Cheers

Len
Alejandro López
2011-09-03 09:08:37 UTC
Post by Alejandro López
GNOME, Xfce and other Desktop Environments (DE) and Window Managers
(WM) are no longer included in the official Mandriva packages.
Contribution packages from the Mandriva community are available for
these desktop environments however.
I read all that and personally I consider that having Gnome as contribution packages is almost the same as not having them.
Contribution means that they will not be QA'd by Mandriva; that updates will come when the contributor has enough time and will to
do them; etc. We are not talking about a small application used from time to time. We talk about Gnome.

I must recognize that I used Mandriva (and Mandrake) for free for years, so I'm really thankful to Mandriva for that. I also know
that they are free to do what the consider best for their distribution and, if someone doesn't like it, that someone is free to get
another distribution.

Well... That's what happened to this someone. I have already upgraded to Mageia 1.0 (I'm using it right now) and I'm really happy so
far. It fixed a problem I had for about a year (which I already posted here and nobody knew how to solve it) and that the upgrade to
2010.1 didn't solve (maybe the upgrade for 2011.0 would have also solved it, I'll never know).

So, this is a good-bye. Thanks Mandriva for all these years, but ours ways separate here. Thanks also to all the list members that
one way or another helped me during these years.

Alejandro.
--Dave
Renaud (Ron) Olgiati
2011-09-03 10:59:55 UTC
On Saturday 03 Sep 2011 05:08 my mailbox was graced by a message from
Post by Alejandro López
I have already upgraded to Mageia 1.0 (I'm using it right now) and I'm
really happy so far.
You are lucky; I tried Mageia, but it lacked several apps I need for my work.

Cheers,

Ron.
--
If it can't be expressed in figures,
it is not science; it is opinion.

Diego Bello
2011-09-03 14:38:23 UTC
Post by Alejandro López
I have already upgraded to Mageia 1.0 (I'm using it right now) and I'm
really happy so  far.
You are lucky; I tried Mageia, but it lacked several apps I need for my work.
Cheers,
Ron.
If you ask for them in the bugzilla, they will add them in short time.
Diego Bello Carreño
Renaud (Ron) Olgiati
2011-09-03 17:00:49 UTC
On Saturday 03 Sep 2011 10:38 my mailbox was graced by a message from Diego
Post by Diego Bello
If you ask for them in the bugzilla, they will add them in short time.
I did, was told to forget it, because it needs QT3 which they wont have cause
it is no longer supported.

So I'm stuck with Mdv.

Cheers,

Ron.
--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Diego Bello
2011-09-04 00:09:24 UTC
Post by Diego Bello
If you ask for them in the bugzilla, they will add them in short time.
I did, was told to forget it, because it needs QT3 which they wont have cause
it is no longer supported.
So I'm stuck with Mdv.
Cheers,
Ron.
Then let's wait and see how it goes with Gnome in MDV.
Even tough I use KDE, I know there are a lot of people who use Gnome,
and I don't think they will just forget about it.
Diego Bello Carreño
Dwight Paige
2011-09-04 01:34:37 UTC
Post by Diego Bello
If you ask for them in the bugzilla, they will add them in short time.
I did, was told to forget it, because it needs QT3 which they wont have cause
it is no longer supported.
So I'm stuck with Mdv.
Cheers,
Ron.
Then let's wait and see how it goes with Gnome in MDV.
Even tough I use KDE, I know there are a lot of people who use Gnome,
and I don't think they will just forget about it.
Here's a 2011 Gnome 2.32 i586 liveDVD:

http://mib.pianetalinux.org/mib/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3001

ftp://ftp.mandriva.ru/EduMandriva/iso/2011/
Dwight
Renaud (Ron) Olgiati
2011-09-02 15:42:42 UTC
On Friday 02 Sep 2011 09:42 my mailbox was graced by a message from Felix
Post by Felix Miata
Post by Alejandro López
I can no longer support a system which has nailed its colours to the
KDE mast.
Can someone explain this sentence? Has Mandriva dropped Gnome for 2011.0?
Any link to this information? Thanks.
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2011.0_Notes
Alleluia! We wont be plagued any longer by the .gvfs shit !

Cheers,

Ron.
--
You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure,
when you do not rightly understand.