Mandriva 2011 download
Phil
2011-08-29 12:19:47 UTC
This may well be a dumb question but here goes.

My Internet allowance won't allow me to download large files so I asked a
friend to downloaded what should have been an iso file. Instead the download
includes three directories Addons, isolinux and LiveOS but not
Mandriva.2011.i586.1.iso.

Have I misunderstood something or could the download be incomplete?
--
Regards,
Phil
Jim Beard
2011-08-29 13:07:14 UTC
Post by Phil
This may well be a dumb question but here goes.
My Internet allowance won't allow me to download large files so I asked a
friend to downloaded what should have been an iso file. Instead the download
includes three directories Addons, isolinux and LiveOS but not
Mandriva.2011.i586.1.iso.
Have I misunderstood something or could the download be incomplete?
Your friend downloaded the wrong thing. On carroll.cac.psu.edu,
the iso Mandriva.2011.i586.1.iso lives in
/pub/.mirrors/1/rsync.mandriva.com/ftp/MandrivaLinux/official
/iso/2011

also known as
/pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/official/iso/2011

If you go to .../MandrivaLinux/official/2011 you get the set of
directories, which is not what you want.

Cheers!

jim b.
--
UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.
Phil
2011-08-29 23:50:59 UTC
Post by Jim Beard
Post by Phil
This may well be a dumb question but here goes.
My Internet allowance won't allow me to download large files so I asked
a friend to downloaded what should have been an iso file. Instead the
download includes three directories Addons, isolinux and LiveOS but not
Mandriva.2011.i586.1.iso.
Have I misunderstood something or could the download be incomplete?
Your friend downloaded the wrong thing. On carroll.cac.psu.edu,
the iso Mandriva.2011.i586.1.iso lives in
/pub/.mirrors/1/rsync.mandriva.com/ftp/MandrivaLinux/official
/iso/2011
also known as
/pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/official/iso/2011
If you go to .../MandrivaLinux/official/2011 you get the set of
directories, which is not what you want.
Thanks Jim and John for your quick replies.

I've contacted my friend and this is his response: "I put the iso file through
Magic ISO to unzip it and then extracted the files to the USB Stick"

Unfortunately, he has gone away for the week so I don't have access to the
original download. Can I reverse what he has done to recover the original iso
file?
--
Regards,
Phil
John Bowden
2011-08-30 01:28:15 UTC
Hi Phil
You could try, also try K3B to recreate the iso if you can't get the
original iso until your friend gets back. Try writing the iso to the pen
drive with uninet booting
Post by Phil
Post by Jim Beard
Post by Phil
[...]
registered Linux user number 414240

Guy Fawkes the only person to enter the Parliament with honest intentions
and he was going to blow them up !
Jim Beard
2011-08-30 02:30:02 UTC
Post by Phil
Post by Jim Beard
Post by Phil
[...]
It probably can be done, but I do not know how. However, you
should have access to the files all.rdz and vmlinuz in the iso,
and they can be used to install Mandriva. Note that this will
download a lot of packages from a mirror somewhere, so if total
byte size of the entire installation is the problem (rather than
just a limit on individual file/package sizes) this may not do
what you need.

URL all on one line, as usual:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Installing_Mandriva_Linux#Booting_the_installer_directly_from_a_hard_disk_-_Linux_method

Read the entire section, but the key stuff once you locate the
two named files and put them in /boot is as follows.

EXCERPT:

Booting the installer directly from a hard disk - Linux method
.
.
.
For lilo, add an entry like this to /etc/lilo.conf:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-all
label=all-install
root=/dev/ram3
initrd=/boot/all.rdz
append="ramdisk_size=32000"
vga=791
read-only

Then run the command lilo as root.

For grub, add an entry like this to /boot/grub/menu.lst:
title all-install
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-all root=/dev/ram3 ramdisk_size=32000
vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/all.rdz

END EXCERPT

If you put the vmlinuz file in /boot, it will overwrite the
symlink there to the current default kernel. With grub, this can
be addressed by adding a stanza to /etc/boot/grub/menu.lst to
call the current default kernel directly. This can be useful if
the install goes snafu.

Also with grub, if you are not used to tinkering with menu.lst,
bear in mind that in grub-speak (hd0,0) is hda1 or sda1. You
must change the first 0 to identify the drive (0=first, 1=second)
and change the second 0 to identify the partition on that drive
to boot from (0=first partition, 1-second partition, etc).

Cheers!

jim b.
John Bowden
2011-08-29 13:12:08 UTC
Tell your friend to go to here:
ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandriva.com/MandrivaLinux/official/iso/2011/
he wants to down load the iso and corresponding md5sum file for the version
of the iso, (i586 or 64 bit)
Post by Phil
This may well be a dumb question but here goes.
My Internet allowance won't allow me to download large files so I asked a
friend to downloaded what should have been an iso file. Instead the download
includes three directories Addons, isolinux and LiveOS but not
Mandriva.2011.i586.1.iso.
Have I misunderstood something or could the download be incomplete?
--
Regards,
Phil
--
registered Linux user number 414240
Guy Faulks the only person to enter the Parliament with honest intentions
and he was going to blow them up !