Update applet
Phil
2011-05-25 11:03:34 UTC
I've managed to remove the update applet from the task bar. I'm unable to find
it in any of the menu listings. Can someone tell what it's called, please?
--
Regards,
Phil
Dwight Paige
2011-05-26 00:29:55 UTC
Post by Phil
I've managed to remove the update applet from the task bar. I'm unable to find
it in any of the menu listings. Can someone tell what it's called, please?
KDE or Gnome? In KDE 4 it's in system tray of menu panel. AFAIK
mdkapplet icon is only visible in system tray when there are updates
available. Don't know about it's behavior in Gnome. Or other desktops.
Dwight
Phil
2011-05-26 06:36:57 UTC
Post by Dwight Paige
Post by Phil
I've managed to remove the update applet from the task bar. I'm unable to
find it in any of the menu listings. Can someone tell what it's called,
please?
KDE or Gnome? In KDE 4 it's in system tray of menu panel. AFAIK
mdkapplet icon is only visible in system tray when there are updates
available. Don't know about it's behavior in Gnome. Or other desktops.
Thanks for the reply Dwight,

KDE 4.

I had a problem with an intermittent right mouse button that caused several
applets to disappear from the task bar. I got one back in it's correct place
and a second that is under the cashew icon and a third (the net applet) that
doesn't do anything except show that I'm always connected to the Internet even
when I'm not.

The update applet used to display a red exclamation mark when updates were
available. Now a dialog box flashes a messages for a split second telling me
that updates are available. There must be a setting somewhere that I had
inadvertently turned off.
--
Regards,
Phil
Dwight Paige
2011-05-27 19:36:42 UTC
Post by Phil
Post by Dwight Paige
Post by Phil
[...]
Drat! I should have asked what version of Mandriva?

There 2 places I know of with settings that affect mdkonline/mdkapplet.
MCC>Configure Updates Frequency and the mdkapplet icon [right click]
itself. So this may be a catch 22...

mdkonline/mdkapplet are working in 2010.2 x86_64 here. If you are in
2010.* then open konsole and:

$ killall mdkapplet

$ mdkapplet --testing

Let us know what happens.
Dwight
Phil
2011-05-30 00:47:47 UTC
Post by Dwight Paige
Post by Phil
Post by Dwight Paige
Post by Phil
I've managed to remove the update applet from the task bar. I'm unable
to find it in any of the menu listings. Can someone tell what it's
called, please?
KDE or Gnome? In KDE 4 it's in system tray of menu panel. AFAIK
mdkapplet icon is only visible in system tray when there are updates
available. Don't know about it's behavior in Gnome. Or other desktops.
Thanks for the reply Dwight,
KDE 4.
I had a problem with an intermittent right mouse button that caused
several applets to disappear from the task bar. I got one back in it's
correct place and a second that is under the cashew icon and a third
(the net applet) that doesn't do anything except show that I'm always
connected to the Internet even when I'm not.
The update applet used to display a red exclamation mark when updates
were available. Now a dialog box flashes a messages for a split second
telling me that updates are available. There must be a setting somewhere
that I had inadvertently turned off.
Drat! I should have asked what version of Mandriva?
There 2 places I know of with settings that affect mdkonline/mdkapplet.
MCC>Configure Updates Frequency and the mdkapplet icon [right click]
itself. So this may be a catch 22...
mdkonline/mdkapplet are working in 2010.2 x86_64 here. If you are in
$ killall mdkapplet
$ mdkapplet --testing
Let us know what happens.
Thanks again for your reply Dwight,

I'm using version 2010.2 and all was well until the mouse right button became
intermittent.

Eight lines similar to the following are displayed:

"medium "Main Updates (Official2010.2-2)" is up-to-date"

Followed by a long list of file names but his line might be the answer which is
repeated four times:

CRITICAL **: dbus_g_proxy_connect_signal: assertion `DBUS_IS_G_PROXY (proxy)'
failed at /usr/bin/mdkapplet line 958.

I'll have a look at this line and see if it leads anywhere.
--
Regards,
Phil