.gvfs/ ?????
Renaud (Ron) Olgiati
2011-08-31 22:06:06 UTC
Doing as root a "ls -al", I get an error message

"ls: cannot access .gvfs: Permission denied"

and get a listing:

d????????? ? ? ? ? ? .gvfs/

What is this strange thing, which has no permissions, and which root does not
have access to ?

Cheers,

Ron.
--
Those who hear not the music
must think the dancers mad.

Jim Beard
2011-08-31 23:47:51 UTC
Post by Renaud (Ron) Olgiati
Doing as root a "ls -al", I get an error message
"ls: cannot access .gvfs: Permission denied"
d????????? ? ? ? ? ? .gvfs/
What is this strange thing, which has no permissions, and which root does not
have access to ?
.gvfs is a directory with permissions 500 that belongs to the
user:group of the home directory it is in. And yes,root does not
have permission as root to access it. It likely has nothing in it.

I suspect the g is for gnome, as in gnome-vfs (virtual file
system?). For clues as to what it might be about, take a look at
/usr/bin/gvfs* /usr/lib/gvfsd* /usr/lib/libgfs* /usr/lib64/gvfs*
/usr/share/gvfs/*/*

It has been around in Mandriva for quite a while now.

Cheers!

jim b.
--
UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.
Renaud (Ron) Olgiati
2011-09-01 09:58:15 UTC
On Wednesday 31 Aug 2011 19:47 my mailbox was graced by a message from Jim
Post by Jim Beard
Post by Renaud (Ron) Olgiati
Doing as root a "ls -al", I get an error message
"ls: cannot access .gvfs: Permission denied"
d????????? ? ? ? ? ? .gvfs/
What is this strange thing, which has no permissions, and which root does
not have access to ?
.gvfs is a directory with permissions 500 that belongs to the
user:group of the home directory it is in. And yes,root does not
have permission as root to access it. It likely has nothing in it.
I suspect the g is for gnome, as in gnome-vfs (virtual file
system?). For clues as to what it might be about, take a look at
/usr/bin/gvfs* /usr/lib/gvfsd* /usr/lib/libgfs* /usr/lib64/gvfs*
/usr/share/gvfs/*/*
It has been around in Mandriva for quite a while now.
Found out (on Ubuntu and Suse lists) that its starnge appearance is a bug, and
that you can remove it only after umounting it: it is a mount point used by
Nautilus.

Since I dont use Nautilus...

Cheers,

Ron.
--
It is a typically Hohenzollern idea to believe that it is a crime
for a country to defend itself after its army has been destroyed.