Which IMAP/POP server to choose?
Anthony
2011-11-01 20:40:57 UTC
I'm looking over my local copies of the mirror that I was using for the
upgrade (to speed the process by not needing to download that much
courier-imap
cyrus-imapd
Which one should I pick? If any of you remember the 2008 ML imap-2006k
package, which one of the above does it most behave like? Or does it
even matter - IMAP is IMAP? :-)
Hi David,

I'm just about to unsub from this list as I've mostly moved to Linux
Mint but I thought I'd answer your question. I tried the above two but
ended up installing Dovecot as an IMAP server a few years ago. I chose
Dovecot as the online documentation was excellent and it was relatively
easy to install and configure. (I set it up to store users' mails in
their home directory and to use secure password authentication with
access over SSL).

There was a Mandriva supported RPM available until two years ago and I'd
imagine they still support it.
If it helps, while users do store their own mail folders in their
$HOME/Mail directory, there is still /var/spool/mail where user inboxes
are located. So if only one of the above supports both $HOME/Mail&
/var/spool/mail, that would be the one I'd want to be using.
Dovecot's LDA can deliver mail messages to either location and store
messages in either the mbox or Maildir format though I'm not sure if it
can be configured on a per user basis. See
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailLocation

Hope this helps,
Anthony